Thursday, January 15, 2004

Why I don't vote Republican
(sorry, every so often I have to do one of these political rants).
Has anyone else been following this whole FCC controversy about Bono saying the word "fucking" on TV? Is anyone else confused about what the big deal is? Here's a link to a CNN article that talks about bills the Republicans are introducing in congress to deal with this "problem".
I guess I should be careful about painting all Republicans with the same stroke. Undoubtedly some idiot democrats will cross over to support this bill, just like Al and Tipper Gore used to be advocates of censorship. Also The libertarian wing of the Republican party, if nothing else, does at least have an ideological consistency which I admire, even if I disagree with it.
However there is a certain element in the Republican party's religious right that I am at a loss to understand. You know, the wing of the Republican party that believes the government has no business providing aid to the poor or protecting the environment, but that it is the government's job to keep four-letter words off of TV. Why is it important for the government to keep the f-word off of the television, but it isn't the government's job to help parents who can't provide for their children? Could someone explain this to me because I just do not understand.
And from here I can easily make a transition into the other issue that seems to have the religious right excited this year, "Gay Marriage." According to the logic of the religious right, it is not the job of the government, but rather the Church and other private organizations to prevent children from starving in the streets, but it is the job of the government to tell us who we can and can not marry. Seems to me it ought to be the other way around, but I guess I'm just a crazy leftist.

No comments: