Tuesday, March 16, 2004

More politics
You may have noticed my list of links has been growing lately. Both Phil Christman and Brian Bork, friends from Calvin College, have started wonderful blog pages. The political commentary is pretty sharp and dead on, and contains a lot of sentiments that I share but lack the ability to express so succiently. Also, while I'm plugging political weblogs, I really like This Modern World as well. I haven't established a permanent link to it, because I'm trying to reserve those for people I actually know, but this is my favorite political website, and the source of much of my news here in Japan.
As for me: It's been a while since my last political entry, and as usual I've lost timeliness. But I want to say a few words about John Kerry, now that he has won the nomination.
After Kerry won the nomination, the media, which had previously been very kind to him, has now started to focus on his faults. And there is a lot of disturbing things about John Kerry now in print. I just want to say for the record that I had reservations about Kerry before it was cool to have reservations about Kerry.
Of course it is easy to say that now. But those of you who were in e-mail contact with me last year might remember that I said I would not forgive Kerry for his vote in favor of the Iraq war, and I that I would vote Green again if Kerry got the nomination.
Now I have to decide whether I was just shooting off my mouth, or whether I really mean it. Certainly anybody would be an improvement over Bush, but it is hard to be enthusiastic about Kerry. The thing I hate most about the Bush administration is the Iraq War, and Kerry supported it. And what's worse, Kerry then voted against reconstruction funds. I mean I didn't support the war, but I'm a firm believer in the "you break it you buy it" policy. It was irresponsible of Kerry to support the war, and then vote against funds for the reconstruction.
So, we'll see. I have a little more time to think about it yet before November. But I'm not happy with Kerry.

No comments: