Saturday, March 26, 2005

I lose my Faith in CNN

Sorry I haven't posted anything on this blog in a couple days. It's been a busy week. Spring Break has officially started as of yesterday. We had the end of the year ceremonies and good-bye parties at school. There's a new ALT coming in April, and my schedule is changing. And we're currently hosting a group of middle school students from California. I hope to write about all of these events in turn in the next couple days.

But for today, I just want to talk briefly about CNN, whose internet website has been one of my main sources of news since I came to Japan.

I know CNN is awful. I know the BBC website, or independent media websites, or many other websites, have a lot better news, but my rationalization is that it is good to know what the rest of the nation is reading.

Since my internet access is limited, I download CNN on my cell phone, and read through their headline news that way. They have a special service for cell phones.

There has been a lot of news about the Michael Jackson trail, which is reported under the "main-headline" section of their cell-phone website. I put up with it.

But this week, for 4 days in a row, one of the top headline stories in the world this week, has been: Pet store owner: Satan's image on turtle's shell. Let me repeat myself. Not only did this qualify as one of their top ten headline news stories, this was one of their top ten headline news stories for four days in a row. Out of the ten top stories on their cell-phone website.

I have officially lost all my faith in CNN

No comments: