Friday, August 11, 2006

5th Grade Essay: Middle School

(Retrospection)

An short essay I wrote in 5th grade detailing my thoughts on going into Middle school next year. I don't think I was quite as neurotic as this implies. It has the overly melodramatic quality common to all middle school essays, and I was also trying to stretch this out to fill the alloted space by listing everything I could think of. And yet I can't help but think of how this fits the pattern of my life of never wanting to advance to the next stage.

I dread middle school. I will get lots more homework and I will have less free time at home and I like my free time. I will only have one recess. I won't be able to go to the same rollerskating parties as the rest of my family. Math will probably be more boring than ever. I really, really, dread six grade.

Useless Wikipedia Fact
Essex girl jokes, which consisted primarily of variations of the dumb blonde gag, became popular in the United Kingdom during the autumn of 1991. The jokes' derogatory nature and persistence caused some commentators to speak out publicly against them. This is something that was completely off my radar until I went to Japan and interacted with Brits, and learned what a big deal it was if someone happened to be from Essex. Anyone else encountered this?

Link of the Day
From Media Mouse: Grand Rapids Press Article on Costs of Air Conditioning Ignores Most Important Cost of All
And Via Bierma: The deluded world of air conditioning
(I've been accused, by those who know me well, of being more talk than action on enviromental issues. But I did go without air-conditioning for two years in Japan in the hottest part of the country. The first couple days were hell, but you do adjust. It is possible.)

No comments: