Friday, October 06, 2006

2nd Grade Essay on Challenger Explosion

(Retrospection)

This was a 2nd Grade writing assignment on the explosion of the Challenger Spaceshuttle.

Yesterday a space shuttle exploded and seven people died. Now I want to tell you what I got for Christmas. I got Lion Voltron. I got the Transformer's Racing track. I got Webster. He's a He-Man action figure. He came with a rope, that he can go up. I got a book from my dad. I got a mobile car. I got a photo album, a clock a bookmark. I got clothes. The book my dad gave me is "The Black Stallion." My Dad was also the one who gave me the Lion Voltron and the transformers racing track. My sister gave me a Go-bot. My mom gave me the mobile car. My Grandma Swagman gave me a transformer and a nice sweater and a game called "connect four". It's fun. I got a squirt gun from a boy in my class. I got a Garfield eraser from my teacher. I got Webster from my Aunt Mary. I gave my sister "Crystal Castle" and my Dad gave her She-Ra.

Useless Wikipedia Fact
Michelle Malkin occasionally posts hate mail she received, which often consists of racist or sexist epithets. According to Malkin, she has been "attacked as an 'Aunt Thomasina and a sellout and a race traitor' by liberals of Asian background".
In November of 2004, the Norfolk, Virginia-based Virginian-Pilot ceased running Malkin's nationally syndicated column. Fellow columnist Bronwyn Lance Chester explained, "I think [Malkin] habitually mistakes shrill for thought-provoking and substitutes screaming for discussion. She's an Asian Ann Coulter." Malkin responded "I'm not Asian, I'm American, for goodness' sake. I would take the comparison to Ann Coulter as somewhat of a compliment. I have a lot of respect for Ann Coulter."
(Looks like I'll have to eat my words from this post. I agree that Malkin is incredibly obnoxious, but in a perfect world she could be obnoxious without people responding in racist ways).

Link of the Day
Congress has passed legislation sanctioning some of the Bush administration’s most controversial policies for handling military captives, but the move has not quelled the political battle over detainee treatment. Although supporters tout the bill as crucial for the prosecution of war criminals, advocates for detainees say it will further shred basic rights in favor of military impunity. (Complete article here)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So has your writing improved since the 2nd grade? =) That was very cute, and remarkable that you still have that piece of historical material.

Anonymous said...

Did you get a good grade on your essay? I think that's one of the best things I've ready about the challenger explosion...

SN said...

ha HA! what was that teacher thinking anyway? what was she expecting from second graders...death, doom, destruction, perhaps an exposition on TULIP? i agree with maria...i mean, what else is there to say really? -sn