Saturday, January 27, 2007

7th Grade: What I did this weekend

(Retrospection)
Because I enjoy doing these retrospections so much (and because I've gotten positive feed back from a number of you) I loaded up a few of these in advance, so I can continue doing them from Japan. The one below was a 7th grade writing assignment to report on our weekend.

I didn’t do much this weekend. Friday when I came home from school I played video games almost all afternoon. Then in the evening I had to baby-sit my little sister Jessica, who is in Kindergarten.

My mom said we could watch a video tape. I decided on “The Hobbit”. Jessica must not have been too thrilled by the movie, because she fell asleep halfway through it.

After the movie I had to get Jessica to bed. I didn’t want to wake her up ,because she always gets so crabby after she wakes up. For this reason, me and my little brother Kyle gave her the nickname “Grumplestilskin”.

So instead of waking her up, I decided to pick her up and carry her to bed. As I lifted her up, she started to stir.

“I better hurry and put her to bed before she wakes up and becomes grumpy,” I thought to myself. That was a big mistake. In my hurry, I didn’t look where I was going, and tripped over the foot stool. I dropped Jessica as I was falling. She landed on the footstool. Luckily the footstool was cushioned. Then she rolled off the footstool and landed on the dog. The dog started barking at her, and she woke up.

“Oh no,” I thought. “Now I’ve done it.” I was right. Jessica woke up screaming. After she had calmed down a little, I said, “You have to go to bed now Jessica.”
She looked at me with tears running down her cheek and screamed, “No!”

“You’re going to be whether you like it or not,” I said.
“No,” she screamed back.
“Jessica, go to bed,” I yelled. Jessica started crying very loudly. She ran upstairs, went into her room, and slammed the door. After a while the crying stopped. The rest of my evening was spent quietly playing video games.

Useless Wikipedia Fact
In the Divine Comedy Dante sees the soul of Paris in the second circle of Hell, being tossed around eternally by a fierce wind, along with Helen and others who succumbed to the sin of lust.

Link of the Day
(From Phil)
Most of our society watches too much TV. So when you point out that prisoners are being used as something akin to slave labor, or that, for example, in one district they're being intentionally exposed to deadly chemicals, people think of some particularly loathesome bad guy they saw on some episode of CSI: Bullshit and then accuse you of being a bleeding-heart. Maybe this is one reason Christ enjoined us to visit the imprisoned (a commandment few of us even think to observe): not only because in doing so we're imitating the God who visits us who are, in fact, imprisoned in sin, but also because in doing so we might get a clue to the fact that there are actual people behind those bars, some of them no less innocent--figuratively and sometimes literally--than ourselves.

3 comments:

Maria said...

do you sometimes wonder how much damage you did to your siblings? I used to ride my mom's bike with my littlest sister in the bike seat when i was about 8 and she was about 1. I wasn't very good at keeping us both balanced becuause i wasn't that strong and we fell all the time. Which meant she hit her head. And of course this was in the days before helmets. eeks.

SN said...

this post cracked me up.

Joel Swagman said...

let it not be said I whitewash my history