Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Night at the Museum


(Movie Review)

I remember seeing previews for this movie last December and thinking it looked pretty funny. I know it got pretty mild reviews, but my sister had a copy laying around the house, so I decided to just throw it on this afternoon for the hell of it.

Like a lot of people, I think I was partly attracted to this movie because of the star power: Ben Stiller, Dick Van Dyke, Mickey Rooney, Ricky Gervais, Owen Wilson, Robin Williams and more. (Of course I guess this is nothing new. You ever notice lately how kids movies are always packed with famous stars, even though kids could care less about name recognition in their movies? Why is that?....Oh yeah, for the parents. Duh.)

I don't care what everyone says, I think Ben Stiller is a funny man. I've been a fan ever since they started re-running the Ben Stiller show on Comedy Central way back in the early 90s.

(Or at least Ben Stiller can be funny if they give him good material to work with. I'd say he's batting about 50% in this movie, but I'll get to the flaws in the writing later.)

Like the rest of the world, I've been a big Ricky Gervais fan ever since I discovered "The Office". In fact Ricky Gervais is a big part of the reason I wanted to see this movie, although it turns out though his total screen time is something under 5 minutes. But for the brief time he's on screen, he's pretty funny. He does his usual clueless manager thing.

This is a typical family movie. It is told from the point of view of the parent, but it has the usual cheesy fortune cookie type life lessons and inspirational speeches built in. There are some funny parts in this movie, but I wouldn't say there is a lot of sophisticated adult humor such as in some of Pixar's movies. On the whole, the humor is aimed at the lowest common denominator: cheap slap stick, funny voices. It's not quite as bad as Jar Jar Binks, but it's the same idea.

Link of the Day
Feingold to introduce censure resolutions against Bush.

Night at the Museum: Movie Review (Scripted)



1 comment:

Maria said...

While you're in Michigan have some Oberon for me - it's the best beer in the world.