Monday, February 18, 2008

処刑の島 / Punishment Island

(Movie Review)

Yet another Japanese movie I rented for no other reason than just because it had English subtitles. (And because it was an old movie, and I'm a sucker for old stuff. And because, with my limited Japanese, I was able to pick out that it was something about anarchists from the DVD box).

It's always dangerous to rent DVDs blind, but sometimes it can be very rewarding as well, and this turned out to be one of those cases.

The movie opens with a man taking a ferrie into a small island town. He says he's looking for someone, but he won't say anything more than that. As the movie progresses, through a mixture of flashbacks and conversation, we begin to find out more about this man, and why he's come to this Island, and what he's looking for.

Because of this gradualy unfolding of the story the first half of the movie really held my attention. For that reason, I think this is one of those movies that it is best to go into knowing as little as possible.

Unfortunately, it's hard to go into a movie completely blind these days. Every English review I could find of this film on-line gave away the plot. As did the original preview (included as a DVD extra). As I think the DVD box would have done, if only I had possessed enough Japanese knowledge to be able to read the whole thing.

I myself will try not to give away any more than absolutely, but if you think you might see this movie someday, I recommend you stop reading this review here....

...If you're still with me, as the story unfolds we learn that the main character, Sabo, was a child in the reform school that used to be located on the island during World War II. And he's come back to get revenge on the people who brutalized him.

Although many of the elements of this film are standard themes from revenge movies, but the timing and pace of the film help give it a tense atmosphere and held my attention all the way through.

There are also some political overtones, and interesting ironic symbolism. For example, the teacher who knew the boys were being treated as slaves, but did nothing to help them, keeps a massive picture of Abraham Lincoln in his living room.
I wonder if his character might be meant to represent all Japanese people who knew the government was doing bad things during the war, but were too timid to do anything about it. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

As for the anarchist connection mentioned above, that does come into play near the end of the film. (Although it's not really essential to the film's plot. It could just as well be any kind of political dissident.)

Link of the Day
Obama, Japan, roots for accidental namesake

Punishment Island: Movie Review (Scripted)

No comments: