Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman

(Book Review)

After "The Golden Compass" and "The Subtle Knife" I come to the end of Philip Pullman's Dark Material's trilogy.

These books get more and more bold and controversial as you read through them, and after finishing the 3rd book I've got to say I'm astonished that there hasn't been more of an outcry against them. (Not that I'm trying to encourage the voice of censorship, I just don't understand their patterns).

By the 3rd book, the characters are fighting a war against God. And not just any god, but quite explicitly the God of the Old Testament (and his regent Enoch, another Old Testament character who becomes a character in this book).

I know these books were never on the favored reading list of the religious right, but I don't remember the outrage against them being anywhere near what got directed against poor Harry Potter.

(Maybe these books have gotten more publicity and thus more controversy since the movie came out. I don't know. Those of you who have been living in the States will have to help fill me in).

Interestingly enough, according to Wikipedia the author Philip Pullman is just as surprised by the reaction as I am.

"I've been surprised by how little criticism I've got. Harry Potter's been taking all the flak… Meanwhile, I've been flying under the radar, saying things that are far more subversive than anything poor old Harry has said. My books are about killing God."[19]

The books also get more and more preachy as you read through them. At first themes were just in the background of the first book. By the time you get to this book, several characters are standing up and making speeches against God.

If it is possible to look past the controversial subject matter, there is also a pretty good story going on in this book as well. As in the previous book, the action continues to jump through several different Universes (reminding me somewhat of the old multiverse system from DC comic books, but much more imaginative and thought provoking). With all the different universes to keep track of, the plot becomes more complex and its easy to forget this is a children's book. We encounter lots of interesting creatures from many different worlds.

In my opinion, the story lags a bit during the long section that involves the journey to the land of the dead. Even though a do realize the "journey to the land of the dead" section has a long history in classical literature like "The Odyssey" and "The Aeneid", et cetera. (Although to be completely honest, even in Homer I thought the land of the dead part was the weakest part of the book. It stops all the momentum of the story and gets just gets too weird and abstract).

Most of the questions brought up from the first two books are finally answered in this last book. (A friend of mine said it was like seeing all the pieces of the puzzle finally fit together). There are however still a few unanswered questions left at the end to leave room for further books. (According to Wikipedia Pullman is working on more books in this series).

Link of the Day
Warfare and Health Care

The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman: Book Review (Scripted)

No comments: