Friday, June 13, 2008

Thoughts on the Presidential Election

As with the last time I commented on the Presidential Election, I don't have anything new and earth shattering to say, but I do want to go on record with my own opinions.

It was certainly a nail biting primary season, wasn't it? Like most people, I had never been so concerned about a primary election before in my life. But this year every election day I would be addicted to the news feed. I kept checking CNN's cell phone website again and again to see the election results.

And now that it's all over, I couldn't be happier. We finally have a Democratic candidate we can be excited about, instead of simply the lesser of two evils. Obama's not perfect of course, (and I've linked to a number of articles critical of him in the past) but his progressive voting record is as close as we'll ever get. Not to mention his eloquence, which will be a refreshing change after our current bumbler in chief. Not to mention the historic significance of having a black president.
(From Japan my role in all this was just as a passive observer. I know some of you have been actively campaigning for Obama back home, and let me just say: you guys rock, thanks a lot).

Of course Obama hasn't won the general election yet, and he has a lot of obstacles to overcome, not least of which is racism in middle America. But McCain is such a flawed candidate that one can certainly dare to hope.

Hillary is looking slightly less attractive after the bitter primary season, but count me among the voters still hoping for a dream ticket. If Obama decides not to chose her, then I hope he goes with another woman. My reasons for wanting a woman VP are admittedly superficial. I just want the excitement of seeing two historic barriers shattered in the same election. But as women represent half the population, I'm sure there are as many qualified woman candidates to chose from as there are men, so why not?

...and well I'm on the subject of the general election, here's my short rant about
Hypocrisy on the Right

already those on the right are attempting to frame this election as eloquence versus service. McCain, they say, may not be as eloquent as Obama, but at least he has a record of service to his country. (You all read the newspapers. I'm sure you've heard these arguments before).

I've written several times now about political hypocrisy, and I probably should be over it by now. After all, I'm old enough where I shouldn't be so naive and idealistic about politics, and I should have learned to expect a certain level of hypocrisy. But it still burns me up.

For anyone with short memories, here's a quick recap of the Republican attitude towards military service

1992 election: Bush's father and Republican pundits makes Clinton's draft dodging one of the pivotal election issues (along with Clinton's marijuana use).

2000 Election: Bush, a Vietnam War supporter who found a way out of the war using family connections is running against Al Gore, who opposed the War but thought it was his duty to serve anyway. Republicans say over and over again it's not an issue, and get furious when liberals try and bring it up.

2004: Bush versus John Kerry. Well, we all remember how that went. A decorated Vietnam War hero runs against a chicken hawk. And guess which one of them got their patriotism questioned?
The fact that Bush avoided military service? How dare you bring that up?

2008: Republicans finally find a candidate who served in Vietnam. And suddenly, the whole election is about military service. Barak Obama is criticized for not serving in the Vietnam War which ended when he was still 14. And after spending his whole adult life as a community organizer, Obama is criticized for his lack of service.

I know, I know, Bill Kristol, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and the rest of that gang are professional whores who have absolutely no shame. But what really disturbs me is how these ideas filter down to the rank and file. I remember at Calvin during the late 1990s talking to Republicans who would work themselves up into a fury talking about our draft dodging President. During the 2000 election, I would bring up the issue and they would just shrug and say it wasn't important.

Family values? same story. You can bet that if McCain had been a Democrat his divorce and marital infidelities would be a big topic this year.

Link(s) of the Day

Via ZNet: Why Clinton Lost: Press consumed with her poor strategy, not her poor choice in public office

and Why Obama Won.

Also this youtube video of McCain seems to have been making the rounds. It's interesting viewing, although I agree with the comments on this modern world about the questionable last couple minutes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'm with you bro, i'm so pumped about obama. i've never actually wanted to vote for someone before. my previous elections experience has always been voting against the person i hated the most. viva obama! --b