Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Hangover

(Movie Review)

This is another movie that I wanted to catch up now that I'm back in the states.

Word of mouth out on this movie was pretty impressive. (In particular I was influenced by this video review here which made this movie sound really over-the-top).
And with a reported 78% fresh rate from Rotten Tomatoes (W)it seemed like it was hard to go wrong with this film.

In the end, however, I was disappointed.

Perhaps my expectations had simply been built up too high. It was a perfectly find run-of-the-mill teen comedy, but it was nothing special. (I say "teen comedy" meaning a movie aimed at the teenage boy demographic. Obviously not meaning a storyline revolving around teenagers in this case, but rather 30 year old men simply acting like teenagers with more money).

There's not too much to say about a movie like this. It had plenty of funny moments. And although I rarely found myself laughing out loud, I was usually amused. It was entertaining enough to keep me sitting there the whole time. Really there's not a lot more to say.

********************
At the risk of sounding like I'm jumping on the politically correct bandwagon, this movie proves once again that Asian-Americans are the last ethnic minority it's still okay to negatively stereo-type.
Actually I wouldn't have minded so much if it weren't for the stupid accent they gave that guy. Despite the fact that the actor playing him is a native born American (W), apparently he has to learn to talk like that to get roles in Hollywood.

Link of the Day
Chomsky: US Supported Indian, Pakistani Nuclear Programs

The Hangover: Movie Review (Scripted)

No comments: