Saturday, March 06, 2010

千と千尋の神隠し / Spirited Away

(Movie Review)

This is another one of those "movies I really should have seen a long time ago."

This movie actually came out the first year I was in Japan, and was hugely popular over there. You could see signs for it everywhere, and all the kids (and even the teachers) at the schools would talk about it.

Once it came out on DVD, for a while afterwards it seemed like it was on everywhere all the time. Whenever I would walk into an electronics store or a video rental place, it would be playing on the monitor. Same for a friend's house.

As a result, I had already seen most of this movie in bits and pieces, and I so I felt like I had seen the whole thing.

But recently I've been re-watching a lot of Japanese anime in an effort to keep my Japanese language up. And I ended up renting this as well, and watching it straight through for the first time.

(And I've got to say, it makes a lot more sense when you watch it straight through.)

This film has gotten so much good press already (in both Japan and America) it's difficult to be able to add much. I'd just be repeating cliches if I gushed about what a wonderfully imaginative film it was, or wrote about how wonderful the characters were.

Likewise I suppose it is cliche to compare the plot to "Alice in Wonderland." And yet there's no denying that is the most obvious comparison.

So, because I can't think of much new to say, I'm just going to keep this review short and sweet. It was a beautiful, wonderfully imaginative movie. It manages to capture a very Japanese flavor in its story about a public bath house for spirit gods. And yet, it doesn't get bogged down in its own mythology (as some Japanese films do). Just as you are trying to absorb and take in the wonder of one scene, you get whisked off to another one. The pacing is perfect that way.

Chances are you've already seen this film already. But if you haven't, then be sure to check it out.

(Finally, in an effort to keep things fair and balanced on this blog, here is a contrary opinion--link here).

Link of the Day
Noam Chomsky with Tariq Ali - 26 January 2005

Spirited Away: Movie Review (Scripted)

No comments: