Friday, October 28, 2011

From The Guardian
Google: US law enforcement tried to get videos removed from YouTube

The technology giant's biannual transparency report reveals a 70% rise in takedown requests from US government or police

Google faced down demands from a US law enforcement agency to take down YouTube videos allegedly showing police brutality earlier this year, figures released for the first time show.
...
Figures revealed for the first time show that the US demanded private information about more than 11,000 Google users between January and June this year, almost equal to the number of requests made by 25 other developed countries, including the UK and Russia.


Unfortunate. But worth remembering the next time you hear people clucking their tongues about government censorship of the Internet in other countries.

1 comment:

Loren Handa said...

Hi Joel, I know this isn't the most appropriate post to comment on for it, but it was the most recent and I couldn't seem to find your contact details elsewhere on the blog. I'd like to ask you a few questions about Ajimu if you have time. I'm a JET alumnus as well and I'd been trying to get in touch with past/present JETs in that area. If you don't mind dropping me an email at shibuyaloren-at-gmail-dot-com I'd really appreciate it!