Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Link of the Day
The Crisis in American Walking: How we got off the pedestrian path.

To which I add a few brief thoughts of my own.
I've not done any research to support this, but I believe that Americans walk less not just because driving is easier, but because it is almost impossible to walk anywhere in American cities.
To give examples from my hometown of Grand Rapids, Michigan: it is almost completely impossible to walk down any part of 28th street without constantly feeling like your putting your life at risk. I the summer, maybe you can get away with walking across car parking lots and across lawns, leaping over the occasional drainage ditch. In the winter, forget it. And at many places it's just about impossible to cross the street, even at the traffic signal.
Cycling down the street creates the same problems.
Also there is no pedestrian access to many of the major shopping malls in the city.

If we could redesign our cities to make them more pedestrian friendly, I believe this would solve both the obesity problem in America, and also significantly cut down on pollution. Americans aren't genetically predisposed to be lazy, but we live in cities in which you can't walk anywhere even if you wanted to.

On the same topic: I'm also reminded of this passage from Bill Bryson's book A Walk in the Woods. I think Bryson expertly describes here the problem of trying to walk anywhere in America. I have many similar stories myself, one of once trying to get to a shopping mall on foot.


Waynesboro had a traditional, vaguely pleasant central business district covering five or six square blocks, but, as so often these days, most retail businesses had moved out to shopping centers on the periphery, leaving little but a sprinkling of banks, insurance offices, and dusty thrift stores or secondhand shops in what presumably was once a thriving downtown. Lots of shops were dark and bare; nowhere could I find a store at which to get insect repellent. A man outside the post office suggested I try Kmart.

"Where's your car?" he said, preparatory to giving directions.

"I don't have a car."

That stopped him. "Really? It's over a mile, I'm afraid."

"That's OK."

He gave his head a little dubious shake, as if disowning responsibility for what he was about to tell me. "Well, then what you want to do is go up Broad Street, take a right at the Burger King, and keep on going. But, you know, when I think about it, it's well over a mile-maybe a mile and a half, mile and three-quarters. You walking back as well?"

"Yeah."

Another shake. "Long way."

"I'll take emergency provisions."

If he realized this was a joke he didn't show it. "Well, good luck to you," he said.

"Thank you."

"You know, there's a cab company around the corner," he offered helpfully as an afterthought.

"I actually prefer to walk," I explained.

He nodded uncertainly. "Well, good luck to you," he said again.

So I walked. It was a warm afternoon, and it felt wonderful-you can't believe how wonderful-to be at large without a pack, bouncy and unburdened. With a pack you walk at a tilt, hunched and pressed forward, your eyes on the ground. You trudge; it is all you can do. Without, you are liberated. You walk erect. You look around. You spring. You saunter. You amble.

Or at least you do for four blocks. Then you come to a mad junction at Burger King and discover that the new six-lane road to Kmart is long, straight, very busy, and entirely without facilities for pedestrians-no sidewalks, no pedestrian crossings, no central refuges, no buttons to push for a WALK signal at lively intersections. I walked through gas station and motel forecourts and across restaurant parking lots, clambered over concrete barriers, crossed lawns, and pushed through neglected ranks of privet or honey-suckle at property boundaries. At bridges over creeks and culverts-and goodness me how developers love a culvert-I had no choice but to walk on the road, pressed against the dusty railings and causing less attentive cars to swerve to avoid me. Four times I was honked at for having the temerity to proceed through town without benefit of metal. One bridge was so patently dangerous that I hesitated at it. The creek it crossed was only a reedy trickle, narrow enough to step across, so I decided to go that way. I slid and scampered down the bank, found myself in a hidden zone of sucking grey mud, pitched over twice, hauled myself up the other side, pitched over again, and emerged at length streaked and speckled with mud and extravagantly decorated with burrs. When I finally reached the Kmart Plaza I discovered that I was on the wrong side of the road and had to dash through six lanes of hostile traffic. By the time I crossed the parking lot and stepped into the air-conditioned, Muzak-happy world of Kmart I was as grubby as if I had been on the trail, and trembling all over.

The Kmart, it turned out, didn't stock insect repellent.

So I turned around and set off back to town, but this time, in a burst of madness I don't even want to go into, I headed home cross country, over farm fields and through a zone of light industry. I tore my jeans on barbed wire and got muddier still.

3 comments:

Dean said...

I have enjoyed walking in a few cities; namely, Chicago, New York, and my little town of Zeeland, MI. We still have that little downtown with shops and restaurants, toy stores and candy stores and bike shops. They even have the ice-melt sidewalks for in the winter time.

Whisky Prajer said...

Los Angeles is home to some of the least pleasant walking I've done. San Jose, on the other hand, is a treat -- as is San Francisco, though it will kill you from exertion.

Joel Swagman said...

Thanks for the feedback both of you.

You're right, I was being too general in condemning all American cities. Several American cities are very nice to walk in. I've never been to the West Coast (except briefly in LA) but I've been assured by several people that many cities in Washington in Oregon are progressively designed with an eye towards cycling and pedestrians.
For that matter parts of Grand Rapids (particularly the residential areas) do have nice sidewalks and are nice to walk in, although in my view if even a portion of the city is inaccessible to pedestrians, that is too much.

For that matter, there's no reason to pick on America exclusively. I've been to several cities in several other areas of the world that are not pedestrian friendly.

However, I was recently talking to an Englishman who was stationed for several months in Grand Rapids for work. He described to me how he was in a hotel on one side of 28th street, and wanted to get to the Meijers on the other side of 28th street. The hotel insisted on driving him across the street, which he couldn't believe, until he realized that there was almost no way a pedestrian could have gotten across the street safely.

I guess my main pet peeve is this: I'm sick of hearing about the crisis in American Walking as if it were primarily a matter of personal choice--that is Americans don't walk because Americans are lazy. I believe that if you design cities that are pedestrian friendly, people will walk more. If you design cities where Pedestrians are made to feel like they have no right to go anywhere, then it should be no surprise that Americans chose to drive.