Thursday, July 04, 2013

Ten Years

On a completely different note:
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm really beginning to like Justin Amash.
Rep. Justin Amash calls on National Intelligence Director James Clapper to resign
“Members of Congress can’t make informed decisions on intelligence issues when the head of the intelligence community willfully makes false statements,” Mr. Amash said on his Facebook page. “Perjury is a serious crime. Mr. Clapper should resign immediately.”
and
NSA surveillance: Rep. Justin Amash says he might join lawsuit against feds
and 
and
Justin Amash 'concerned' by feds' Verizon probe, wants explanation
and
In familiar move, Amash takes aim at drone strikes, indefinite detention

Not to mention Amash's twitter account:
Any congressman claiming that ppl don't have reasonable expectation of privacy in personal phone records should make his publicly available.
and Gov't's collecting records of millions of Americans, w/o reasonable suspicion of wrongdoing, is unconstitutional, unconscionable & immoral.
and The real criminals & traitors are those in government who knowingly assault the civil liberties secured by our Constitution.

 I disagree with libertarians on a lot of economic issues, but I'm with them on social issues.
  Although it probably goes without saying that I'd prefer a representative who reflected my personal views 100% of the time, Amash seems to be taking such a strong line against government abuse that he might well be better than whatever middle of the road Democrat the party would throw up for his seat.  And he's definitely better than his Republican predecessors in the Kent County district.
Dare I say it, vote Amash in 2014?
(But of course I'd be interested in the thoughts of my favorite Michigan political analyst.)

No comments: