Saturday, March 22, 2014

2nd Conditional: If 6 Was 9 by Jimi Hendrix

(TESOL Worksheets--2nd Conditional)
Google: drive, docs, pub
[Use with Jimi Hendrix's song "If 6 Was 9".
Upon reflection, this song might not be the best way to teach second conditionals, because there is no full second conditional sentences (other than the manufactured result clause I created in the table) but I still like the ridiculous counterfactuals in the if clause, and it illustrates the use of the past tense for counterfactuals.  The picture is not mine but is borrowed from the Internet. ]


2nd Conditional Questions
If Clause
Result Clause

If
Subject
V2 (past simple)
Question Word
Would
Subject
V1
If
6
turned up to be 9
how
would
people
count?
If
all the hippies
cut off their hair
how
would
they
look?
If
the mountains
fell in the sea
what
would
you
think?
If
the sun
refused to shine
what
would
you
do?


If 6 Was 9 by Jimi Hendrix

(Yeah)
(Sing a song, brother)
___________________________,
I don't mind, I don't mind.
(Yeah)
_________________________________,
Let it be, it ain't me.
Got my own world to live through
And I ain't gonna copy you.

Now, ________________________,
I don't mind, I don't mind.
______________________________,
I don't care, I don't care.
Dig, 'cos I got my own world to live through
And I ain't gonna copy you.

White-collar conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me.
They're hoping soon my kind will drop and die,
But I'm gonna wave my freak flag high . . . HIGH!

Hah, hah
Fall mountains, just don't fall on me
Go on mister Businessman,
You can't dress like me.
Nobody know what I'm talking about
I've got my own life to live
I'm the one that's gotta die
When it's time for me to die
So let me live my life the way... I want to.

Yeah . . .
Sing on brother,
Play on brother . . .


No comments: