Saturday, April 19, 2014

Phrasal Verbs Sorting Exercise

(TESOL Worksheets--Phrasal Verbs)
Google: drive, docs, pub
Question and answer sheet (for sharing online)--Question: docs, pub ; answers: docs, pub
[This is a sorting exercise.  In the first sheet, students are given sentences and encouraged to try to sort the sentences into different groups.  Then the second sheet lists the phrasal verbs, and the different categories.  The third sheet is the answer sheet.]



All of these are sentences with phrasal verbs.  What are the differences between them?  See if you can sort these sentences into different groups.  (Incorrect sentences are written with a strike through.)

He decided to go out.
The waiter took away the plates.  The waiter took the plates away.
Our plans fell through.
I'm looking for Jane.  I'm looking Jane for.
She takes after her father.  She takes her father after.
Don't let the boss down.  Don't let down the boss.
I put up the picture. I put the picture up.
She stood up and walked out.
I put up my sister. I put my sister up.
She walked right out before I could apologize.
The fire went out.
She came across an old friend while she was out shopping.  She came an old friend across.
Please go away.
They're pulling that old building down.  They're pulling down that old building.
The marriage didn't work out.
Don't throw away the food.  Don't throw the food away.
I put off the meeting.  I put the meeting off.
I'm looking after the boys for you.  I'm looking the boys after for you.
I get along very well with my boss. I get along very well my boss with.
I'm looking forward to the party.  I'm looking forward the party to.
How can you put up with that noise?  How can you put up that noise with?
They ran across the park.  They ran the park across.
She came across the room.  She came the room across.
He never got over the death of his wife.  He never got the death of his wife over.
Sit down.
We drove past the park.  We drove the park past.




Phrasal Verbs

Now, put these words into the appropriate category.


come across, drive past,  fall through, get along with, get over, go away, go out, let down, look after, look for,  look forward to, pull down,  put off, put up, put up with, run across, sit down, stand up, take after, take away, throw away, walk out, work out

Verb + Particle (no object)






Verb+ Particle+ Object (separable)






Verb + Particle +Object (inseparable)







Verb + Particle + Particle (inseparable)









Answer Sheet

come across, drive past,  fall through, get along with, get over, go away, go out, let down, look after, look for,  look forward to, pull down,  put off, put up, put up with, run across, sit down, stand up, take after, take away, throw away, walk out, work out

Verb + Particle (no object)
(7) fall through, go away, sit down, stand up, walk out, work out,  go out

Verb+ Particle+ Object (separable)
(6) put up, take away, throw away, pull down, put off, let down

Verb + Particle +Object (inseparable)
(7) come across, look for, run across, drive past, look after, take after, get over

Verb + Particle + Particle (inseparable)
(3) get along with, look forward to, put up with

No comments: