Friday, May 30, 2014

Present Perfect versus Past Simple: Dictation


Google: drive, docs, pub
[The teacher reads the text, and the students fill in the missing words. All the missing words are either present perfect, or past simple. The present perfect are mostly contracted (weak) forms, so the students must listen for the weak form of the present perfect.]

Listen to your teacher read the story, and fill in the missing words:
My Travels in Ruritania
            ________________ to Ruritania?  I have.  What a beautiful country.  I ________________  there so many times, I ________________  count.  Where to start?
            Well, the first time I ________________  there was in 2003.  That was an interesting time.  I ________________ many experiences in my life, but nothing like that.
            First of all, I ________________ swimming in the beautiful lakes and rivers there.  I ________________ swimming in most of the lakes in Europe, but the lakes in Ruritania were more beautiful than anything else I had ever seen before.
            Then, I ________________ the finest food at the Ruritanian hotel.  Now, when I say it was the finest food, I know what I'm talking about.  I________________ delicious food in every country.  I ________________  gourmet food in France, Italy, and Spain.  But nothing was as good as the food I ________________  at Ruritania.
                        Oh, and I shouldn't forget to tell you about the wonderful wine.  I ________________  the best wine in Ruritania.  I ________________  wine in all the great European cities, but nothing like the wine I ________________  in Ruritania.
            Also, I ________________  lots of interesting people in Ruritania.  I ________________  the King, the Prince, the Queen, the Duke, and the Duchess.  It was amazing.  I ________________ lots of people in my life, but nobody as amazing as the Royal Court of Ruritania.
            Also, the scenery was absolutely beautiful.  I should show you my photographs.  I ________________ all over Europe, and I ________________ photos in every country I ________________  to.  But nothing was as beautiful as the photos I ________________  in Ruritania.
            Lastly, there was the singing and dancing.   Now, I know people in every country like music, but I ________________  music from all over the world, and none of it could compare with the music I ________________  in Ruritania.  And I ________________  dancing from all over the world, but the dancing I ________________ in Ruritania was the absolute best.



My Travels in Ruritania
          Have you ever been to Ruritania?  I have.  What a beautiful country.  I've been there so many times, I've lost count.  Where to start?
          Well, the first time I went there was in 2003.  That was an interesting time.  I have had many experiences in my life, but nothing like that.
          First of all, I went swimming in the beautiful lakes and rivers there.  I've been swimming in most of the lakes in Europe, but the lakes in Ruritania were more beautiful than anything else I had ever seen before.
          Then, I ate the finest food at the Ruritanian hotel.  Now, when I say it was the finest food, I know what I'm talking about.  I've eaten delicious food in every country.  I've eaten gourmet food in France, Italy, and Spain.  But nothing was as good as the food I ate at Ruritania.
                   Oh, and I shouldn't forget to tell you about the wonderful wine.  I drank the best wine in Ruritania.  I've drunk wine in all the great European cities, but nothing like the wine I drank in Ruritania.
          Also, I met lots of interesting people in Ruritania.  I met the King, the Prince, the Queen, the Duke, and the Duchess.  It was amazing.  I've met lots of people in my life, but nobody as amazing as the Royal Court of Ruritania.
          Also, the scenery was absolutely beautiful.  I should show you my photographs.  I've travelled all over Europe, and I've taken photos in every country I've been to.  But nothing was as beautiful as the photos I took in Ruritania.
          Lastly, there was the singing and dancing.   Now, I know people in every country like music, but I've heard music from all over the world, and none of it could compare with the music I heard in Ruritania.  And I've seen dancing from all over the world, but the dancing I saw in Ruritania was the absolute best.



No comments: