Thursday, October 02, 2014

Charades


            Another activity that is NOT my original idea.
            I got this activity from a co-worker.  He used it when he was covering my young learner class, and the activity was so successful I persuaded him to let me copy his cards so I could use them myself.  I re-typed all the cards up onto a separate sheet of paper.  In order to keep track of these cards and avoid losing them, I’m going to post them on this blog.

            My co-worker didn’t actually remember where he got these cards from.  He thinks they were from some website somewhere.  Hopefully I’m not violating copyright by re-posting them here.

            Since I first got this game from my co-worker, I’ve re-used this game several times with my classes, and I’ve needed to add to my bank of charades cards.  So the first 64 cards are the ones that I got from my co-worker, and all the cards after that are my own creation.

            The rules are basically the same as standard charades: the person with the card must act out the words, but not say anything.  The other people must guess from the non-verbal gestures alone.

            My co-worker gave me some very useful advice for how to run the activity.  He does it in several stages.
            He distributes cards to all the students, and gives them time to look at their cards.  Then, he himself takes a card from the pile, and acts out the card.  The whole class tries to guess his card.  When they successfully guess it, he acts out another card.
            He goes through several cards, and then by this stage the students themselves are quite eager to get in on the action.  Students who volunteer are given the opportunity to act out their card in front of the whole class.  (Although no one is forced to volunteer at this stage.)  If the class guesses that student’s card, he is given a new card (which he’ll need for the next activity).  If any students complain that their card is too difficult, he just has them change their card for another one.  “This is the advantage of having so many available cards,” he told me.  “You’ve got so many of them, you may as well just let them change if they want to.”

            The next stage is that the students are all given a partner, and must act out the card for their partner.
            Then, the game is done as a whole class mingling activity.  The students stand up and walk around the room.  When they meet someone else, they act out their card.  If the other person successfully guesses their card, then they switch cards, and move on to mingle with another person.

            I’ve found that this has worked very well in my own classes.
            Yet another co-worker told me another variation on how he does the game.  The game is conducted in 3 rounds. 
In the first round, the students are allowed to use any words they want, except the words written on the card, plus any gestures.
In the second round, the students are only allowed to use 2 words, plus gestures.
In the third round, they must only use gestures. 
            The same cards are recycled every round, so by the third round the class has an idea of which cards are already in play, and the guessing becomes much easier.

            This game is usually used as a time-filler/ reward for the students at the end of class.  My co-worker says he usually pulls this game out when he sees that the students are becoming bored with the textbook.  Although, as with all of these ESL games, hopefully there is some incidental learning going on regarding vocabulary. 


            Other ideas: I've also used these same cards for pictionary.  (Standard pictionary rules: instead of acting out the cards, one student tries to get their team to guess the word by drawing on the board.)  The cards work somewhat less well for pictionary than for charades.  Many of them were written with charades in mind, and not pictures.  But if you have a class that is willing to get into the game, and take a few risks, it can be fun to do it as pictionary as well.  If the class is willing to try, than the fact that some of these cards are quite difficult to draw can be all part of the fun.
The cards are below, and on Google Here: drive, docs, pub.  
Another variation is to get the students to write the cards.  A collection of blank cards are on Google here: drive, docs, pub.


I'm sad. /I feel sad
I'm cold.
I'm hungry.
Thank you
Slow down. / Calm down
It's great. / It's wonderful.
I /me
After you.
I don't know.
That was delicious.
It's 7 O'clock. / at 7 O'clock.
10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
It's too loud.
Come here.
I'm thinking (about it).
Can I take a photo of you?
Go away!
Sorry.
I don't feel well. / I (am/feel) sick/ill.
Please eat.
up
Excuse me!
Excuse me, can I get past?/ can I get through?
You can't/ It's not allowed./ No entry.
You can't smoke./ No smoking.
behind
no
Close
You're late.
I'm 65 (years old).
Let's talk.
two
down
He is dead.
I'm disappointed.
I won!/ I'm the winner!
I'm hot.
Bad
Waiter! The bill, please.
stop
Sign here (please).
good
I'm getting married.
Zero
I swear. / I promise.
six
yes
Pleased to meet you.
(He's/she's) mad/ crazy.
you
Yes, sir.
I'm pregnant.
Please
Please sit down. / Take a seat.
I'm proud.
You're very strong.
It's straight ahead.
This way.
Goodbye.
A little.
I love you.
I'm sleeping.
Would you like a cup of tea?
You've lost weight.
Kick a ball
Kill a mosquito
Pet a dog
Get bitten by a dog
Come late to school
Catch a snake
Eat a pizza
Plant rice
Catch a cold
Drive a school bus
Ride a bicycle
Go fishing
Cook
Be Angry
Come Here Please
There's something in my eye.
Boxing
Cry
There is something in my shoe.
My leg is asleep.
Find money on the ground.
Teach a class.
Chew gum.
Play baseball.
I can't decide.
I ate too much.
I don't want any.
I missed the train.
Talking on a cell phone while driving
Arguing with my girlfriend/boyfriend
Help an old lady cross the street
I forgot to study for the test.
Watch TV
Check your e-mail
Wait
Brush your teeth
Headache
Swim
Grow up
Lose something
Study
Elephant
Read
Sneeze
Get dressed
Quiet
Astronaut
Zookeeper
Skiing
Rain
Police
Mailman
Fire-fighter (Fireman)
Laugh
Airplane
Mountain
River
Do nothing
Eat/lick an ice-cream (cone)
Play cards
Cough
Tie your/a shoe
Karate
Get a haircut




No comments: