Monday, January 18, 2016

The Jungle Book Movie Worksheets For Low Level Young Learners--Just the Links Version

[This post is an exact duplicate of the previous post.   The only difference is that the previous post contained all the worksheets and PowerPoints embedded, which sometimes made it difficult to load.  This post has nothing embedded, only the links to the Google drive version of the various worksheets and PowerPoints.]

(Movie Worksheets)

Below are all my worksheets and PowerPoints for Disney's 1967 The Jungle Book.

Google Drive HERE

Worksheets: Part 1 (drivedocspub), Part 2 (drivedocspub), Part 3 (drivedocspub), Part 4 (drivedocspub), Part 5 (drivedocspub), Part 6 (drivedocspub), Part 7 (drivedocspub), Part 8 (drivedocspub), Part 9 (drivedocspub), Part 10 (drivedocspub), Part 11 (drivedocspub), Part 12 (drivedocspub), Part 13 (drivedocspub), Part 14 (drivedocspub), Part 15 (drivedocspub) Part 16 (drivedocspub), Part 17 (drivedocspub)

PowerPoints: Part 1 (driveslidespub), Part 2 (driveslidespub) Part 3 (driveslidespub), Part 4 (driveslidespub), Part 5 (driveslidespub), Part 6 (driveslidespub), Part 7 (driveslidespub), Part 8 (driveslidespub), Part 9 (driveslidespub), Part 10 (driveslidespub), Part 11 (driveslidespub), Part 12 (driveslidespub), Part 13 (driveslidespub), Part 14 (driveslidespub), Part 15 (driveslidespub), Part 16 (driveslidespub), Part 17 (driveslidespub)

All of these worksheets are done in the same style as the Peter Pan movie worksheets I posted a few months ago.  And so consequently, all of the theoretical justification is the same.  So I'll try not to repeat myself too much from the last post, but I'll recap things briefly.

All of this is based off the theory that young learners learn best from having the majority of the classroom focus on providing input (as opposed to grammar exercises).
Authentic ungraded input like this is problematic for beginning students, but I think it has its place, provided it's not the only input learners are being exposed to, but part of a diversity of input.
In my classes, the input comes from primarily three sources.
1) The assigned textbook.  The textbook follows the old-school methodology of having the vocabulary and grammar input be strictly restricted to what the students have already studied.  There are reading and listening exercises, but these reading and listening only contain the vocabulary and grammar structures that have already been introduced in previous pages.
2) Graded Readers.  This provides vocabulary and input that is only slightly above what the students have already studied.  Since I've started teaching young children, I've  - been  - using a lot of very easy graded readers designed for this age group.
3) Authentic ungraded movies--like this one.  Much of this input is incomprehensible to the students, but I think authentic material is still beneficial in the classroom provided the majority of time is spent focusing on the more graded material mentioned above.  So the movie is broken down into 17 small segments so as not to spend too much time on it in any one class.

As with the Peter Pan worksheets, the goal is to provide the students with rich input, but to keep the actual task as simple as possible.  The students only have to match 5 words to the script.  I've tried to choose words that are visually referenced in the movie (for example, someone saying "tree" while pointing to a tree) and/or are obvious from context, especially words that are echoed or repeated.

(For slightly more advanced students, however, these worksheets can easily be adapted by just choosing more difficult words to delete--just as I did with the Peter Pan worksheets when adapting them for an adult class.)

Each class follows the same pattern.
1). The students are shown the vocabulary for this section on PowerPoint.  I drill new words if needed (although more often than not the vocabulary is repeated from previous sections, or already known by students).
2). On the PowerPoint, the students review several lines of dialogue that they watched in the previous lesson.  The purpose of this is to force attention on the input.  The students read the words.  I correct pronunciation as needed, but don't spend a lot of time explaining the meaning.  Much of the more idiomatic language and grammar will doubtlessly go over the students heads, but I'm hopeful that some noticing of structures or lexis may take place during this part.
The amount of language recycled for each lesson depends on two factors--how useful I think the language from the previous scene is, and how much space I have available on the worksheet to add in recycled language.  (I was strict on not allowing myself more than two-doubled sided pages.)  All of the visuals for this section comes from this website here.
3). Students watch the next section of the movie.  Ideally, they listen quietly. (I mentioned in my post on the Peter Pan worksheets that complete silence was impossible with young kids, but actually I take that back a bit.  I've had much better luck getting more or less complete silence from my students since I started rewarding all the students who listen quietly with treats or stickers.)
4.  Students are given the script, and read through it.  They attempt to match the words to the blanks based on memory or on reading comprehension.  (This is another area that has vastly improved in my class.  I mentioned in my Peter Pan worksheets post that this section was more aspirational than functional--more something I would like them to start doing than something they were actually doing on their own. But there has been great improvement in this section since my students have gotten used to the expectations of this task. Most of them are now actually able to go through and write down the answers before we play the movie again, or at least make some guesses.)
5.  The movie is played again.  Ideally students follow along with the script (although to be honest, the attention of many of them wanders).  I keep my finger on the pause button, and pause the movie after each answer is given, to confirm everyone has the answer, and to give slow students a chance to write it down.
6. Feedback is on the PowerPoint.

I used a copy of the movie from youtube.  [LINK HERE].  At the time of this writing, all the links on the PowerPoint will take you to exactly the right part of the movie for each section.  But I suspect it's only a matter of time before the copyright police take down the video, so sooner or later those links will cease to function.

I used this website here (link here) as my basis for the script. But I used my own ear as well, and listened to the movie myself and made changes wherever I thought appropriate.

I also designed quizlet quizzes for each section.  Each section builds on the vocabulary from the previous sections, and also adds the new words.  The links are on the bottom of each respective worksheet, but I'll also post them here.

Quizlet Folder HERE
The Jungle Book 1
The Jungle Book 2
The Jungle Book 3
The Jungle Book 4
The Jungle Book 5
The Jungle Book 6
The Jungle Book 7
The Jungle Book 8
The Jungle Book 9
The Jungle Book 10
The Jungle Book 11
The Jungle Book 12
The Jungle Book 13
The Jungle Book 14
The Jungle Book 15
The Jungle Book 16
The Jungle Book 17

No comments: