Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Youtube Videos Authentic Listening: Gap Year



(Using Youtube Videos For Listening)

Google Drive Folder HERE

I originally designed this as a lead-in to a lesson on Gap Years from Life Elementary Textbook p.52.  But I think it can still stand on its own as an independent listening lesson.

The video is on Youtube Here.  The young woman in question did not do a traditional gap year (i.e. she didn't spend her time travelling the world), but in a way I think this is almost better.  It opens up to the students the idea that a gap year can be spent doing anything--not only travelling or volunteering, but also just spent pursuing any of your hobbies or personal interests or relationships.

The lead-in questions are all on PowerPoint.  What is a gap year?  Are gap years popular in your country?  Would you like to go on a gap year?

Students are then asked to predict what Tiffany did on her gap year.
Then in pairs they are given a set of cards (which have been cut up and shuffled by the teacher before class) and match the cards to the descriptions.  Feedback of the correct answers is on the PowerPoint.

Then the students watch the video, and identify which of these things Tiffany actually did.  (There are 6 red-herrings in the set of cards that Tiffany did not actually do.)
There is also a word grab, where the students listen to the video a 3rd time, and grab the words as they hear them.  (They compete against a partner to see who can grab the words first.)
Finally, the students are given a transcript, and match the words to the blanks.

The students then talk with a partner about what they thought ofTiffany's gap year.  (Did it sound fun to them, or not?)
Then, they are given a worksheet, and told to imagine that they are taking a gap year from work or school.  They are instructed to come up with the top ten things they would like to do during this time.

Then, they are put in pairs, and with a partner, have to negotiate to pick a top 5.
Then, the pairs are put in groups of 4, and in groups of four, have to re-negotiate a top 5.
And then each group presents their top 5 findings to the class.

Materials.
PowerPoint is embedded below, and on Google: Drive, Slides, Pub.



The matching pictures to descriptions cards are on Google here: Drive, Docs, Pub

The word grab cards and complete transcript are on Google here: Drive, Docs, Pub

The various worksheets for listing what the students want to do on their own gap year are on Google here: Drive, Docs, Pub.

I had one last summer with my best friends
I visited New Orleans twice

I saw Elton John in concert

I spent most of my time baby-sitting

skydiving for the first time

I played dress-up more than a few times
I made some big changes in my health
I also went to Sequoia National Park for the first time



went jet skiing for the first time

I applied to college




Match the phrases to the gaps
A). I also went to Sequoia National Park for the first time
B). I applied to college
C). I had one last summer with my best friends
D). I made some big changes in my health
E). I saw Elton John in concert
F). I played dress-up more than a few times
G). I spent most of my time baby-sitting
H). I visited New Orleans twice
I). skydiving for the first time
J). went jet skiing for the first time


Hey dudes!

I am currently in my college dorm all settled in, and I can’t believe it.  I just wanted to make a video to tell you guys all my experiences of my gap year and just reflect on everything that I did because I seriously think that taking a gap year was the best decision that I could have made.  And I really did do some great things with my time.  Even though initially I wanted to, you know, travel the world and go on volunteer trips, and you know, things like that.  Life gets in the way.  So I had to do more practical things.  But I still did a lot of fun things.  And I’m really glad to be at college now—it’s the right time for me.

Here’s what I did with my gap year:

*Right after high school graduation, (1) ___and I said some really tough good-byes.  It was really strange getting used to not seeing my best friends all the time.

*(2) ___.

* (3) ___ with my best friend, and that was something that we’d wanted to do for forever.

*(4) ___ and hanging out with kids at work, so I pretty much only saw people under the age of ten.  And for most of the year I was working around 40 hours a week, so, full time.

* Plus Youtube.

* I went inverse skydiving for the first time and, (5) ___ which were both amazing.  And I’ve wanted to skydive for a long time, so that was so great to be able to finally do it.

* And (6) ___.  I don’t think I’ll ever grow out of that.

* (7) ___ and life-style when I decided to go gluten free, and then a month later, go vegan.  And honestly, it’s been a little bit of a struggle, but it’s so, so worth it, and I’m glad that I did it.

* I celebrated my first anniversary with Reed, and our next anniversary is in January. 

* Over the course of my gap year I went from 30,000 subscribers to 50,000, and I’m really excited that I just hit 50,000.  It was just perfect timing.   But I’m also excited to hit 100,000 and a million.  Soon, right?

* I got a great opportunity to go to Coachella for free.  Well, technically I was going to Coachella to work, so I was getting paid to go to Coachella.  It was great.

* Reed and I survived 8 months of long distance, which was really tough, but now we’re going to school together.  And it’s amazing. 

* I went to Vidcon for the …fourth time? … and I got to meet friends from the Internet that I’ve never seen in person. 

* (8) ___.  And it was gorgeous.  I went on an 8 mile hike there.  It was fantastic. 

* Also I went to Laughlin, Nevada, and (9) ___.

* And, of course, I made a ton of videos.

* Most importantly, (10) ___, because I decided that it was the right thing for me to do.  I got rejected, wait-listed, and accepted.  I experienced it all.

          But yeah, I am so, so glad that I followed my heart and really listened to myself senior year and decided that college wasn’t right for me at that point, because it gave me the time to do this gap year, and to get my head straight and work, and earn money for the things that I needed, and then figure out that I wanted to go to college and that this college was right for me, and, I’m really, really, excited.
          If you guys have ever have any questions about gap years, please ask me.  I pretty much recommend them to anyone. 
If you guys have any college related, uh, video requests…I am here now, so just let me know.
OK, thanks, bye!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crQHKGKzmoE

Hey dudes!

I am currently in my college dorm all settled in, and I can’t believe it.  I just wanted to make a video to tell you guys all my experiences of my gap year and just reflect on everything that I did because I seriously think that taking a gap year was the best decision that I could have made.  And I really did do some great things with my time.  Even though initially I wanted to, you know, travel the world and go on volunteer trips, and you know, things like that.  Life gets in the way.  So I had to do more practical things.  But I still did a lot of fun things.  And I’m really glad to be at college now—it’s the right time for me.

Here’s what I did with my gap year:

*Right after high school graduation, I had one last summer with my best friends and I said some really tough good-byes.  It was really strange getting used to not seeing my best friends all the time.

*I visited New Orleans twice.

* I saw Elton John in concert with my best friend, and that was something that we’d wanted to do for forever.

* I spent most of my time baby-sitting and hanging out with kids at work, so I pretty much only saw people under the age of ten.  And for most of the year I was working around 40 hours a week, so, full time.

* Plus Youtube.

* I went inverse skydiving for the first time and skydiving for the first time, which were both amazing.  And I’ve wanted to skydive for a long time, so that was so great to be able to finally do it.

* And I played dress-up more than a few times.  I don’t think I’ll ever grow out of that.

* I made some big changes in my health and life-style when I decided to go gluten free, and then a month later, go vegan.  And honestly, it’s been a little bit of a struggle, but it’s so, so worth it, and I’m glad that I did it.

* I celebrated my first anniversary with Reed, and our next anniversary is in January. 

* Over the course of my gap year I went from 30,000 subscribers to 50,000, and I’m really excited that I just hit 50,000.  It was just perfect timing.   But I’m also excited to hit 100,000 and a million.  Soon, right?

* I got a great opportunity to go to Coachella for free.  Well, technically I was going to Coachella to work, so I was getting paid to go to Coachella.  It was great.

* Reed and I survived 8 months of long distance, which was really tough, but now we’re going to school together.  And it’s amazing. 

* I went to Vidcon for the …fourth time? … and I got to meet friends from the Internet that I’ve never seen in person. 

* I also went to Sequoia National Park for the first time.  And it was gorgeous.  I went on an 8 mile hike there.  It was fantastic. 

* Also I went to Laughlin, Nevada, and went jet skiing for the first time.

* And, of course, I made a ton of videos.

* Most importantly, I applied to college, because I decided that it was the right thing for me to do.  I got rejected, wait-listed, and accepted.  I experienced it all.

          But yeah, I am so, so glad that I followed my heart and really listened to myself senior year and decided that college wasn’t right for me at that point, because it gave me the time to do this gap year, and to get my head straight and work, and earn money for the things that I needed, and then figure out that I wanted to go to college and that this college was right for me, and, I’m really, really, excited.

          If you guys have ever have any questions about gap years, please ask me.  I pretty much recommend them to anyone. 

If you guys have any college related, uh, video requests…I am here now, so just let me know.

OK, thanks, bye!


Imagine you could quit work or school for one year and take a gap year.  You can do anything you like.  What would you like to do?  Think of ten goals for your gap year:
1



2



3



4



5



6



7



8



9



10


Share your ideas with a partner.  You and your partner both have to agree on a top 5
1



2



3



4



5






Share your ideas with another pair.  All 4 of you now have to agree on a top 5
1



2



3



4



5









No comments: