Thursday, March 10, 2016

Life Elementary Textbook Unit 6 p.69

(Supplemental Materials for Specific Textbooks)


There are the materials I used to supplement p.69 of Life Elementary Textbook.
Quizlet for p. 69 (docs, pub)  (This is meant to be cut up into strips and given to the students to take home for homework)
Transcript (docs, pub)
and some questions about money taken from http://iteslj.org/questions/money.html (docs, pub)

Some notes and explanations:

Quizlet
The quizlet homework for this page of the textbook is given to the students the previous lesson.  The idea is that they can study the vocabulary at home before the actually lesson.
My colleague who introduced me to quizlet.com did so with this word of warning.  "I eventually stopped doing it," he said.  "It just wasn't worth it.  The amount of work I was putting into it every day, versus the amount of students who would actually do it... It just wasn't worth the effort."
I've since discovered that just about every teacher in my staffroom has had a similar trajectory with quizlet.  Everyone falls in love with it upon first finding out about it.  But then everyone gets frustrated because none of the students are actually doing the quizlet homework, and then everyone eventually stops doing it.
I'm in the frustrated stage now myself.  When I first started using quizlet, I used to spend 40-50 minutes every day combing through the textbook to try to find all the vocabulary I thought would be problematic, and making these long quizlet sets for my students to study at home.  As long as only one or two students were still doing it, I thought it was worth the effort.  But when that number dropped to zero, it became difficult to justify spending all that time anymore.  (Quizlet allows you to see which of your students have done the exercises, and which ones haven't).
When this current term finishes, I'm not going to continue doing quizlet with this class.  But for the moment, I'm still going through the motions.  (Mostly just as a face saving gesture--I don't want to admit to the students that they won, and I'm giving up on this homework).  At the moment, however, instead of making long lists of words, I'm basically just selecting the first 10 or 15 words I see from the textbook page.
All of my quizlet sets are indexed at this post here, including my much longer and more ambitious quizzes for the lessons in Unit 4 and 5 of Life Elementary Textbook.

The Transcript
As I've mentioned before, I'm a huge fan of giving the students the transcript after the listening lesson, and playing the CD one last time with the transcript.  It allows them to see clearly any words that they may have missed during the actual listening, and I think helps to build up bottom-up listening practices.
The transcripts are always in the back of the book, but I've never really liked the transcripts in the back of the book.  The print is too small, students have to flip to the back of the book and lose their place in the book, and even worse, all the transcripts are all together, so they may start reading the transcript for the next listening lesson.
I much prefer to just type the transcript out myself on a separate document.  My colleagues think I'm crazy for going through all this extra work, but actually it only takes about 5 to 10 minutes, and it's worth it to me.

some questions about money taken from http://iteslj.org/questions/money.html
All of these questions are taken from http://iteslj.org/questions/money.html .  I tried to put them on different cards, but I had a hard time making cards and tables with Google Docs.  (As I've mentioned, I've recently been forced onto Google Docs against my will, and am still on a learning curve here.  Eventually I hope to be able to figure out how to do everything as well as I used to with Microsoft Word, but for the next few weeks or months, you'll just have to forgive all the poorly formatted worksheet).
Page 69 didn't actually contain enough material to fill out my whole 2 hour lesson, so I needed something to pad it with. The theme of all the lessons in Unit 6 is about money, so I just grabbed some conversation questions about money, and had my students sit in two circles.  Each person was partnered with the person opposite them. I timed them for 4 minutes, they talked about as many questions as they could in that time, and then they inner circle rotated one person clockwise.

Life Elementary Unit 6 Money p.69

https://quizlet.com/_21xr8w


Life Elementary Unit 6 Money p.69

https://quizlet.com/_21xr8w


Life Elementary Unit 6 Money p.69


https://quizlet.com/_21xr8w


*************************************************


Oxford Street is a famous shopping area in central London.  Every day, thousands of people spend money on food, clothes and electronics. It’s also a good place for buskers to earn money.  This Scottish bagpiper often plays on Oxford Street because people give him coins and small amounts of money. But after a few hours, that can add up to a lot of money.  One of the best places on the street for buskers is near to a currency exchange office. Tourists go there and change their money. Then, when they come out, they often give their small coins to the busker before they go shopping.



*************************************************************



About how much do you usually spend each day?
Are you good at saving money?
Are you saving money to buy something?
  • If so, what are you planning to buy?
  • How much will it cost?
  • How much longer will you need to save before you can buy it?
Do you enjoy shopping?
Do you gamble?
Do you give tips at a restaurant in your country? How about to taxi drivers?
Do you think that money can buy love?
Do your parents give you an allowance? (Did your parents give you an allowance?)
Have you ever bought a lottery ticket?
Have you ever found any money? If so, what did you do with it?


Have you ever given money to a beggar?
Have you ever had any money stolen from you?
How important is money to you?
If you had no money, do you think you could be happy?














No comments: