Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Millions of Cats by Wanda Gag

(Graded Reader)

Another book from my childhood that I'm repurposing for the ESL classroom.

It worked relatively well.  On the plus side, there was a lot of repetition in this book, which will hopefully help the students absorb the structures.

On the negative side, there was some difficult low frequency vocabulary (scraggly, clawed, homely).

There was a lot of synonyms in this book for pretty (pretty, beautiful, lovely) which I was worried would confuse the students, but actually they got through it all right.

This book can be found on amazon.com here.

I also used this video in class to supplement the book.


Here are some supplementary teaching materials I made when teaching this book in my classes.  These materials don't really work too well independently of the actual book, so you'll need to get a copy of the book to use these.

PowerPoint: 1. (slidespub) 2. (slidespub) complete: slidespub

Worksheet: 1. (drivedocspub)  2. (drivedocspub)

Link of the Day
Chomsky on Liberalism

No comments: