Friday, December 09, 2016

IELTS Worksheet for Pre-Test and Post Test

(TESOL Worksheets--IELTS)

Google: drive, docs, pub

I've been experimenting with doing pre and post tests in my IELTS classes.  On the very first day of class, the students take a practice IELTS tests, and calculate their approximate band scores.  On the very last day of class, they take another practice test to see if they have improved at all.
Obviously the use of this activity will be dependent on access to practice IELTS test.  Cambridge publishes practice test  books (A), and my school has copies available for teachers to use.  However without access to some sort of practice test, this worksheet will not be usable.

After the test, students are given the answer sheet, mark their test, and give themselves an approximate band score.  (The conversion chart for the number of points to an approximate band score is available on line--for one example see here.)

Students then set a goal for how much they want to improve by, and I advise them that it will take 400 hours to rise by half a band score.

That "400 hour" figure comes from figures I found online.

“The research revealed that around 300 hours of full-time study (18 hours or more a week) is needed to lift the average candidate’s overall band score from 5.5 to 6.0. Surprisingly, longer than 300 hours of full-time study is needed to move from 6.0 to 6.5, or from 6.5 to 7.0.”

I found this quote in a few different places, but one example is here.

Actually I don't think it's surprising that longer hours of study is needed to increase your school at the higher levels.  Everyone who has every studied a language knows that you make progress very quickly at the beginning, but then hit the intermediate plateau.

However, because I couldn't find the exact number of hours for higher level students, and because I didn't want to confuse students too much by giving them too many different numbers, I just decided to make "400 hours" the standard figure.  (If anyone knows of any more accurate figures out there somewhere, let me know in the comments section.)

Students then develop a study plan.
At the end of the course, they take another practice IELTS test to see if they have improved at all.



Why are you taking the IELTS test?

What is the minimum score that you need to achieve this?

What score would you like to get?



1st Practice Test
Reading Score

Listening Score

What is the difference between my score now and the score I need?

What is the difference between my score now and the score I need?



Rough guide for study plans:
The amount of hours needed to study will vary depending on your personal aptitude (some people learn faster than others) and depending on the quality of your studying.  Also beginners will make progress faster than advanced students.  So there are no guarantees. However, as a rough guide, research seems to indicate that it takes about an average of 400 hours of study to move up half a band.  So if you are at a band 5, it will take you about 400 hours of studying to move to a band 5.5.  It will take you 800 hours of study to move to a 6, and it will take you about 1,200 hours of study to move to a 6.5

Calculating Time:
How many half band scores do I want to move up by the end of this course?

How many hours of study does this represent?

How many days do I have until the end of the course?

How many hours will I have to study every day to achieve my goal?




Study plan: What will you do to increase your ability in these skills?  How many hours a day will you do each?
Listening




Reading




Writing




Speaking




Vocabulary




Grammar






End of Course Practice Test
Reading Score

Listening Score



No comments: