Sunday, May 28, 2017

From Rolling Stone:
Gregg Allman, Southern Rock Pioneer, Dead at 69

I saw The Allman Brothers in concert.  (Or, that is, I saw the band known as The Allman Brothers.  The actual brothers haven't been together since Duane died in a motorcycle accident in 1971)

My memory gets a bit shaky on this, but I think I may have actually seen them twice...once the summer I was 18, once the summer I was 19.

I was never actually a huge fan.  But other people in my high school were, so I went along with them.

In my own mind, though, I was never a poser.  I had decided as a teenager that I was interested in classic rock.  I was actually more interested in groups like Jefferson Airplane and The Beatles, but I have always been a completist, and having decided that I was a classic rock fan, I decided that I was interested in all of it.  So when I found out a lot of people in my high school class were into The Grateful Dead and The Allman Brothers, I told myself I was into that as well.
And I was a bit.  I never dug it quite as much as other people did, but I had The Allman Brothers greatest hits CD, and I would play it occasionally.
And I bought an Allman Brothers shirt at the concert, which I used to wear around the Calvin dorms.

Sidenote:
A couple times in Japan, I met Japanese people who were fans of the Allman Brothers.  They were almost always about 20 years older than me.  (Unlike my high school classmates in the U.S., in Japan there's very little appreciate for classic rock among people who didn't live through it-- a phenomenon I detailed in a previous post here).
One of the teachers I used to work with back in Ajimu was a Allman Brothers fan.  And, as I wrote in this post here, during my tour of Oita City I met an older Japanese man who talked to me about The Allman Brothers.

Update:
Since writing about this, I got curious about any concert recordings which would exist from the early days when both brothers were still alive.  I found some clips, and I thought the one below rocked pretty hard.  It makes me feel like I've been missing out by not being a bigger fan than I was.



No comments: