Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst and illustrated by Ray Cruz

(Graded Reader)

So, after taking about a year's break, I've decided to try to bring Story Time back into my classroom.

This is a book I'd wanted to do for a long time, but had held off because I didn't think my students were quite ready for it.  (It uses a lot of advanced vocabulary).
But it's amazing how much progress they've made this past year, so I decided to give this book a try.

This book was very popular with my own elementary school teachers back when I was growing up.  I remember it was read to us several times when I was at school.
My 4th grade teacher read it to us, and then for a creative writing assignment, had us write our own Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.
I decided to duplicate that writing assignment with my own students.

So far I've used this book in a couple different classrooms, and the reaction has been positive.  The students laughed a lot at it, and at least some of them had fun with the writing assignment.

This book is available on amazon.com here.

I created some materials to supplement this book in my classroom.  They work best as a supplement, and not as a replacement, for the original book.

Presentation: slides, pub
Worksheet: docs, pub

Link of the Day
Noam Chomsky on the Crimes committed by U S Presidents

No comments: